Yesterday it was nice enough outside to go out into the garden and get some work done! Not much, but I did succeed in separating last year’s garlic and transplanting it. I also planted two rows of basil at the far end of the tomato box – a lovely mix of lemon basil, purple basil, Genovese basil and others.
I also set out the plants that were started in our bathroom “grow house” – giant pumpkin, 3 varieties of tomato, bell pepper, marigolds, malva and aster. I set them in the barn aisle, so that they were not in direct sun or wind – I did leave them out there overnight (doors closed, of course) so they’d acclimate to the cooler weather. The pumpkins were looking wilty this morning and the marigolds were kind of leaning. Hopefully they’ll come back around once they are transplanted in the fertile, horse manure-laced soil outside!
Here is a quick look at some of what has been happening in the garden:
Additionally, the hens have been laying about 9 eggs per day, including 2-3 pretty blue-green Aracauna eggs! We collect our eggs daily and they go straight to the refrigerator. On the days we forget, the eggs go to the garbage… better safe than sorry!